Tuesday, June 30, 2009

swimming

I'm so glad to be back on this. I could not sign in because whenever I tried it did a weird loop thing. I found out how to fix it, but I couldn't do it. I'm not very computer savvy. I'm using a different browser now. I like to do this because hardly no one reads this and it's way better than facebook. So, we are done with swim lessons. The kids did a great job. They will probably all go back next year to improve their strokes. Haley will need further lessons she was just too goofy when she did her lessons. I'm so glad it's done last week was so hard because we had to be there at 7 and the kids and I are not morning people. I have taken 2 swim lessons and I still can't let go of the kickboard. I just don't know how to do it. I never learned to swim as a child and the paralizing fear and overthinking it just gets me. They said the class was for beginners or for people wanting to improve their stroke. I am the only one in the class that did not know how to swim. I look stupid and I'm helpless and I hate that feeling. I didn't go last Thursday because I used the weather as an excuse. It's funny how we can come up with excuses so readily. I don't know if I'll ever let go of the kickboard. I tried it yesterday and it just feels like I'm going to drown. I don't know how to float on my own and you'd think it would be easy with all the extra weight. It all comes down to fear. My instructor is a certified lifeguard she says that there is no way I will drown because she wouldn't let it happen. I understand the logic, but fear still takes over. This is a metaphor for life and the lifeguard represents our savior. She holds on to the kickboard and pulls me while I kick and hold the other end. She doesn't let go unless I want her to. I don't want her to. I don't know if I will ever want her to. It's comforting to know that our savior is there for us to hang on to for dear life when times are tough. We don't ever have to loosen the grip if we don't want to. We can though. We can use the principles and teachings that he has given us and spread our wings. It's comforting to know that like a lifeguard he will always be within reach to rescue us from the abyss. I feel like writing more but the kids are needing my attention.

3 comments:

  1. I like the metaphor. Sometimes it is terrify to try new things! I think we all have fears in different areas. Give it time! I learned to love to swim when I first went water skiing! I got up on skis after two tries, I was so scared to fall in the water (I was deathly afraid of the fish that might be swimming in there) that I held on for 45 minutes until my arms hurt so bad I had to let go. I learned I loved to ski. I learned that if I wanted to ski I had to start in the water (with all the fish) and end there... I was still afraid, so I would get up as fast as I could and when I did fall, I would swim fast to the boat so no fish could get me. I am still afraid of fish in the water...probably always will be. I realize they are probably afraid of me, and wouldn't come near me, and a fish probably won't bite me...but they still terrify me. I won't eat fish either...same associted fear!
    I think it is awesome that you are taking lessons! Keep it up...give it time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Starr. That is awesome that you are taking swimming lessons even when you are afraid. I never really learned to swim either, though I can doggy paddle and float. I have been going two days a week with a friend to a deep water aerobics class. You wear a belt that keeps you floating the whole time. But I've been watching everyone and trying to pick up strokes. I can get it sometimes and then sometimes I just feel totally uncordinated. Maybe, we should all make sure our kids learn while they're kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is great that you are taking lessons. It is always difficult to face your fears. I do however love the feeling I get when I have done something that I am scared of. It makes me feel so brave and that I can do anything...at least for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete