Sunday, March 22, 2009

our yard

I planted a new apple tree yesterday. It's where a pear tree used to be. I don't have much of a green thumb, but I do like to dig in the ground a bit. The perennials are growing and the grass is greener. It's very windy today and it will most likely rain. I hope that it does not snow. I just am so tired of it.
We made a delicious cake on Friday. The batter has mandarin oranges in it and the topping has ccolwhip, vanilla pudding and crushed pineapple. It was a perfect cake to celebrate the first day of spring. Harold also went to a rock and gemstone expo for cubscouts. He brought me back a crystal. My kids are quite a handful, but I am so grateful for each one of them and their uniqueness. We found a nest in one of our arborvitae in the front yard. There were a few berries from the tree in it. It's very cute. The birds are gobbling up the bird seed and they ate most of the berrries off the trees. I hope that Ashley will put in the pump for the sprinklers this year. Our lawn looked like crap last year. We'll see what happens. This year I hope to find someone to help me with the yard. It is just too much for me. Between homeschooling, exercise, cooking, laundry and sorta cleaning this huge house, I can''t mow and weed properly. And I really don't want to either. I do want to plant more trees and plants to attract bees, butterflies, and birds. My goal is to plant at least 10 trees and some shrubs and at least 50 bulbs in the fall every year. Even if only half of them make it that's still 25 trees in the next 5 years. All of last year's plantings are still alive. It is really hard to maintain them during the summmer when it is hot.
Well I've gotta go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment